Autism Question

What do you do when they turn 18?

tags: transitional services for adults with autism transition Social Security adult transition young adults guardianships

posted almost 6 years ago by A MyAutismTeam User

You need to make sure that both parents and, later in life siblings, have the enduring power of attorney to be able to make all the legal and medical… read more

posted almost 6 years ago

If you are in the United States, you should have a Transition Plan in place as part of the IEP. The school and/or district should have social workers… read more

posted almost 6 years ago

Before they turn 18 you should apply for SSI to cover some of their living expenses and medical. If they are pretty capable of functioning in a school… read more

posted almost 6 years ago

Make sure high school transition services are addressed prior to graduation. My adopted son never received them (he was adopted at age 22) and missed… read more

posted over 4 years ago

More Resources On This Topic:

Autism Speaks

The Autism Speaks' FREE Transition Tool Kit was created to serve as a guide to assist families on the journey from adolescence to adulthood. Read More:… read more

posted over 4 years ago
Browse more questions and answers
MyAutismTeam is a free social network that makes it easy to find others like you and gain insights from parents of kids with autism.
Sign up Log in