Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Diego, CA

Meltdown issues!!! Help my two year old is having meltdown after meltdown. For something as simple as no kitchen or no we aren't going to play outside to that is a spoon and mommy needs it back now here have this spoon. Any tips.

August 11, 2013
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

(just because it is a major pet-peeve of mine) @A MyAutismTeam Member what you described is in P.E.C.S it is using visuals and picture cues, but not P.E.C.S you will see much more growth and long term progress if you start implementing the actual "Picture EXCHANGE communication system" protocol.

August 12, 2013 (edited)
A MyAutismTeam Member

Thank you all so much. Yes I do find myself saying No a lot these days with a toddler and pre toddler running around the house. I will be making a trip to the 100 yen store to get some stuff to make up, I'm thinking a photo binder and photo strip. :)

August 13, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

Very similar to the "first,then" thing but when my kids ask for something, instead if saying no, I tell them when they can have it. To me it felt more natural. For some reason my brain didn't want to wrap itself around the rigid "first, then" structure. If they asked for cookies, I would just say "yes, you can have a cookie after dinner"
I realize that's actually saying the exact same thing in a different way but it worked better for me and it was easier for my husband too. When I told him to use "first, then" he was flummoxed but when I said "instead of saying no, just tell them when they CAN have it" it clicked.

August 13, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

The method that worked in our home was " First and then" method it is what many schools do and they know what to expect. No is a forever term as if they will never get it or see it or have it.

August 12, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

I think all two year olds do that .even nt ones.seriously.my spectrum nine year old is going thru a phase like that but at two I would expect it.it won't be forever.Xo

August 12, 2013

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Harrison Twp, MI

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Port St Lucie, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In