During our IEP, school district proposed to place my son in classroom X. I requested to visit classroom X before I made a decision before I signed IEP. After visiting classroom X I decided not to accept his placement there. I have written a letter, which I am planning to turn in on Monday, with the reasons for disagreement and our requests. Do I also request a new IEP meeting? Or do I just say I am disagreeing on the letter, keep… read more
An IEP needs to be signed and agreed upon by the parents I believe. Request an new meeting and voice your concerns. They need to accomodate for your childs needs.
@llhem the initial IEP was in November and we agreed to it. This one was a review and addendum and the only two proposals were placement in special class and OT 30 minutes a week at a different school. I disagreed with both so initial IEP is kept in place till we have another meeting. I just bought the Wrightslaw book and have been reading it in order to prepare myself better for the next IEP. Thanks everyone!
What have your previous experiences been with the school, placement, and listening to your requests? Are you afraid if you send your requests in the letter you are "showing your hand"? Do you feel you need more time to support your perspective or want to gage their receptiveness? If you feel they are going to be argumentative, hold onto your reasoning until you have their response. If you think presenting them with your viewpoint might sway them, or give them time to address your concerns before the next meeting, then lay it out there. What is your relationship with your child's case manager like? Can you talk to him/her before the next meeting to see what your options might be? I hate having meetings just to dig up info, and then having to have another meeting to amend.
Wish you luck!
if y ou didn't signed, then you are entitled to have another meeting without even asking for one. I am at that point just now, our IEP was not finalize because i didn't agree on placement, and "we" decided to reconvene... after a couple of weeks I received the later stating the time and date as a month after the notice.
i am also struglo=ing on how much you should say before the formal meetings. I was also advise to record the meeting as per there were statements that i wish i had proof that were said...people lying through their teeth!!
It is good that you can stay put the old IEP until you figure out what to do. I am right now taking an Advocacy parent training class and it is so informative. Good luck with your fight with placement, I have been fighting the school for placement and trust me it is hard when it comes to determine the LRE.