Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cockeysville, MD

My son does not like to walk around in our neighborhood. He immediately tells me to go in the car or go back inside the house. It's sad because our neighborhood is filled with kids and great neighbors and I wanted him to have fun. I have taken him to the zoo and other local festivals that does trick or treating and that went well, since it's all outdoors in the open and a different envirionment.

October 31, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyAutismTeam Member

Yay! ABA has been life changing for us.

While our son did beautifully for trick or treat and he made it a bit further than our normal walk, he stopped and stated "I'm tired of Halloween I want to go home".
We were SO tickled that he told us what he needed instead of melting down. 2 victories in one night!

Good luck to you...he will get it :)

November 2, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member Thanks for the advice! I'll add situation to discuss with our upcoming ABA therapist. I am going to start with ABA therapy very soon.

November 2, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

We have been taking walks in our neighborhood with our ABA therapist. Providing frequent edible reinforcers for rule following. He is gradually learning to safely walk in our neighborhood but it had to be taught and we had to find the right motivators.

November 2, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

Our son usually love Halloween, especially the costumes, He used to like picking his costumes of his favourite movie characters.

October 31, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member Thanks so much for your advice. That's a cute story. I'm waiting for the day for less meltdowns and more communication. I know my son is only four but I know he can get passed some things through structure and guidance. Hopefully, it will be better next year. 😀

November 2, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Indianapolis, IN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In