Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ithaca, NY

My son is 3. He is completely nonverbal. He had a bottle for way too long as it was one of the only things that used to calm him down. Even though we started when he was quite young he has never gotten used to us trying to brush his teeth. It’s basically him screaming and fighting us the whole time. He is starting to have some teeth that am worried about. I also want to have his teeth cleaned but I can’t even imagine what a trip to the dentist with him will be like. Any suggestions or similar… read more

November 9, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members offered compassionate guidance for helping a nonverbal three-year-old with autism learn to brush his teeth, emphasizing patience and... Read more

Members offered compassionate guidance for helping a nonverbal three-year-old with autism learn to brush his teeth, emphasizing patience and gradual desensitization as key strategies. Several members shared practical approaches that worked for their children, including finding the right toothbrush texture (especially electric or three-bristle options), experimenting with toothpaste flavors, using distraction techniques like silly stories or Elmo videos, and starting with water-only brushing before slowly introducing toothpaste. A recurring theme was finding a pediatric dentist willing to take baby steps, allowing short visits just to sit in the chair or look in the mouth, and never rushing the process even when progress feels painfully slow.

A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member The dentist our kids used to see used the same sitting position to examine our kids' teeth. This was helpful when they were younger so they didn't have to sit in a dentist chair to get the dental exam.

November 12, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

We saw a regional center Hygenist who taught us to take two chairs facing each other and have two people sit in them. Then put your son on your lap facing you and hug him, then have him lean back on the other person (like he would in a dental chair). Then use a toothbrush (we only use water for now) and try to brush his teeth. But get him used to being in that position and learning to let someone brush his teeth. We don’t do this that often because he has been cooperative at the sink for the most part but that helped in the beginning.

November 10, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

I have recently found that Amazon sales a three bristle toothbrush (electric or non) and the non-electric one was initially created for children of special needs.

Electric: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0765C726N/ref=o...

Non-Electric: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XFMHR81/ref=m...(Phone number can only be seen by the question and answer creators)&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=three+bristle+toothbrush+children+autism&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BirNJSvbL&ref=plSrch

March 16, 2018
A MyAutismTeam Member

My son is 4 and literally the last week has been the first time he has let me brush his teeth every morning with no issues. I figured out by watching him play that he likes the feel of vibration, so I bought him a electric brush with his favorite character on it. He also hated the flouride toothpaste, I'm assuming bc of the strength of it. So I solved that by starting off by putting very little fluoride toothpaste on the brush and putting the toddler training toothpaste (no flouride) on top of that. Every morning I would do just a little more fluoride paste and a little less of the fluoride free paste. I plan to start introducing night time brushing in a couple days. Good luck!! I know the battle, mine would scream too. Now no screaming, the electric brush was a good investment.

November 13, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

I feel for what you're going through. My son did not visit the dentist for a bit, too. I actually made an appointment with a pediatric dentist who would let me in the room with him...I would stay away from those who will not let you go back! And just sit in the chair and then leave. It's the idea of just getting a few visits in slowly. Then one visit someone could just look in his mouth...baby steps to the real appointment. If a dentist is impatient, then I would not go back.

A lot of objection can be from simply the flavor of toothpaste so I would start with letting him feel the toothbrush and then:
1. Just water on the brush, which should be very soft
2. Picture cards to show what is happening

I would just use this method for a while until you can slowly put a tiny amount of toothpaste on. My son hates everything but Tom's of Maine Mango...it just depends on what he likes flavor-wise from foods he likes.

We never did sedation because our son has a floppy airway and it was too risky, so we had to just start really slowly.

If you can, use a pray bottle with warm, salty water to disinfect his mouth. Spraying makes sure he is not swallowing lots of salted water.

November 9, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Spring, TX

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Redford, MI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In