Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte Hall, MD

Would anyone reading this who has had any success getting a one to one aide for their son or daughter at school mind sharing how you were able to do this? Did you have to get an attorney? My daughter is not only nonverbal, but has behavior problems. I am not getting all of the info. I should be about what goes on at school because obviously they are understaffed. A doctor who my daughter once saw where we used to live gave us a written recommendation that she have a one on one aide at school… read more

September 9, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

I seeked out to my pediatrician who in fact sent me over to other doctors and then once I got it on paper about behavioral problems then I was able to get help from the school.

September 18, 2019
A MyAutismTeam Member

I have an educational attorney and my daughter has an IEP. I also have an advocate who comes to all the IEP meetings with me. Also had recommendations for my daughter I writing by having a neurologist psychological evaluation. All these resources have helped

September 15, 2019
A MyAutismTeam Member

The need for a 1:1 aide MUST be listed in your loved ones IEP. In order to do this you need to find a lawyer or an professional advocate (who knows your school district) to attend IEP meeting with you until the school district knows you are serious and determined. Depending on where you live, even if you get the school district to agree to provide 1:1 aide that does not mean they will hire competent staff or that staff will not quit the job after a month. Get your IMPORTANT goals for your loved one clear in your mind before the IEP meeting. Then in addition to requesting a 1:1, make sure you have (1) goal that you want the speech, occupational, physical, behavioral therapist/interventionist to work on and train the aide on. Finally, give the classroom teacher 1 or 2 goals and your clear expectations for his/her results. Ask for progress reports weekly at the beginning. I am sorry this is so hard and expensive. Best wishes!!

September 10, 2019
A MyAutismTeam Member

You will need an advocate. Maybe thru the department of mental health in your area.

September 9, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Manchester, CT