Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Jonathan will come home from school and strip down to his underwear. At school he rolls his pant legs up as well as his sleeves. He lifts his shirt up exposing his chest and belly. I'm thinking it's a sensory issue but what do I do? He even refuses to wear his coat, gloves and hat and it's 15 degrees outside

January 16, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

It definitely sounds sensory :)

January 17, 2022
A MyAutismTeam Member

I agree with indie. Texture can make all the difference. It also could be that he likes the sensation of airflow across his skin. Alot of hats and gloves are made of acrylic. I personally do not like the texture of this material. I am much more comfortable in cotton. But there are days that for no identifiable reason nothing feels right. Maybe it is the airflow sensation becoming dominant at that time. My youngest is known to strip in any situation. We have found that softer clothes stay on longer.

January 16, 2022
A MyAutismTeam Member

Maybe try really soft clothes

January 16, 2022
A MyAutismTeam Member

Thank you for all your feedback. I agree with Fultonfamily about him liking the air flow. I think soft clothes are comfortable so I bet he does too. And it's definitely sensory.

April 11, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Carrollton, GA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Placid, NY

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Portland, OR

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In