Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY

Do any of your kids 20 and up drive to their jobs? If not how do they get there? Do jobs today judge how their employee will get to work? I will be driving my son if and when he'd work but my husband thinks if the employer finds out my son won't get hired. What do you think?

August 24, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

I agree with alot of these comments I dont drive and I used to work at a thrift store and I used the public bus system I had co workers use Lyft it just honestly depends where they work

August 24, 2025
A MyAutismTeam Member

Thank you Everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate your responses !

August 24, 2025
A MyAutismTeam Member

Probably different professions are different but I think it's fine in the restaurant industry or customer service jobs especially for a young adult. A lot of people can't afford a car yet or are saving up for a car and mom, aunt, or roommate drives them to work. A lot of people take uber or Lyft or the bus. I prefer uber or Lyft because even though it's more expensive it's more reliable than the bus and less crowded.

August 24, 2025 (edited)
A MyAutismTeam Member

It depends on the job and if they require someone to drive. For example, my work at the group homes entails having a driver's license as I transport people a lot of times. With a job in say, retail or food service, I don't think it would matter, so long as the employee has the means to get to said job.

August 24, 2025
A MyAutismTeam Member

All the positions that are not remote that I applied for recently ask Do you have a reliable means of transportation? So as long as one can show up that would be important to the employer.

Yes, autistic individuals can drive, although some may face unique challenges. While some individuals with autism may find learning to drive more difficult due to sensory sensitivities, executive function challenges, or difficulties with social cues, many successfully obtain their licenses and drive safely. With proper support, tailored instruction, and accommodations, many autistic individuals can overcome these challenges and enjoy the independence that driving can provide.
Challenges that may arise:
Sensory Overload:
.
Driving involves a multitude of sensory inputs (visual, auditory, physical) that can be overwhelming for some individuals with autism.
Executive Functioning:
.
Challenges with planning, organization, attention, and decision-making can impact driving skills.
Social Cues:
.
Interpreting non-verbal cues from other drivers, such as brake lights or signals, can be difficult.
Motor Skills:
.
Some individuals with autism may experience difficulties with coordination or fine motor skills.
Strategies for Success:
Structured Learning:
Breaking down the driving process into smaller, manageable steps can be beneficial.
Sensory Accommodations:
Using tinted visors, noise-canceling headphones, or adjusting the car's settings to minimize sensory input can help.
Visual Aids:
Using visual cues and checklists can help with organization and memory recall.
Specialized Training:
Occupational therapists specializing in driver rehabilitation can provide tailored instruction and strategies.
Practice:
Consistent practice in controlled environments and gradually increasing driving complexity can build confidence and skills.
Open Communication:
Encouraging open communication between the learner, family, and driving instructor is crucial.
Overall:
While driving can present unique challenges for some individuals with autism, it is a skill that many can learn with appropriate support and strategies. With a focus on individualized instruction, accommodations, and practice, autistic individuals can achieve independence and mobility through driving

https://health.osu.edu/health/mental-health/aut...

Autism and driving: How ASD affects driving, and resources to help
Autism and driving: How ASD affects driving, and resources to help
August 24, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
East Watertown, MA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
East Watertown, MA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
East Watertown, MA