Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Calgary, AB

Summer is here and school is out. I am a single parent with little funds for summer programs. My son is 13 and even though I don't mind him staying at home during the summer I need a routine for him to follow. Any suggestions for a summer routine? He has shut himself off from the outside and there are just so many video games in the world. It would also help to get his sleeping under control because I want him to rejoin school in the fall.

July 3, 2013
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around a single parent seeking a summer routine for their 13-year-old son who prefers video games to outdoor activities,... Read more

Members rallied around a single parent seeking a summer routine for their 13-year-old son who prefers video games to outdoor activities, sharing the universal struggle of keeping kids active and engaged during summer break. Several members offered practical strategies including joining local swim teams for structure, using visual scheduler apps on iPods to create daily routines with built-in alarms, setting earned screen time based on completed chores and mandatory outdoor time, and checking with the YMCA about sliding-scale membership fees that can make quality programs affordable. A recurring theme was the emotional weight parents carry when their children struggle socially or resist participation in life, balanced by fierce determination to advocate for their kids and creative problem-solving when resources are limited.

A MyAutismTeam Member

I feel your pain. My son is 11 and would prefer to sit in front of the TV. Luckily I got him to join the swim team. It is absolutely a ton more work for me but he has a routine. Swim team in the morning and a scheduled list of chores to do before he can watch tv/play x-box. The time is limited and he has to have 30 minutes of outside time. Trampoline, bike, walk, whatever. He totally comes in every 5 minutes to tell me he is done, even with a timer that he changes... He had fits of rage at first but it was his choice if he earned the tv or not.

July 3, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

@asccn8-My daughter is in her second week taking care of the twins with no relief in sight unless I come straight home from work everyday or my sister checks in on them while she is on rounds from the hospital which is a few blocks from the house. Both will be 13 years old so I feel your suffering. I personally have gotten one twin interested in playing the keyboard and creating her own music, but that gets done when i am there. The other twin is a movie expert, but it does not keep her moving only occupied. When there are too many adults that are suppose to be on the same page, but not....keeping the kids on a schedule or routine had become increasingly difficult.

July 4, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

Do you have a local YMCA in your area? I just joined and their facilities are AMAZING! Top notch state of the art equipment, and an huge indoor pool. AND THEY ARE CLEAN!!!! I only pay $24.00 per month for myself and my 4 kids. At first they tried charging me the normal fee which came out to be a little over $160.00 per month, but then I flat out asked to be put on their "sliding scale" I was just laid off and now my only source of income is Unemployment benefits. They happily put me on the sliding scale hence only $24.00 per month. They offer great programs for kids too!

July 4, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

I could only wish my son would go outside - he says he's "allergic" to sunshine and wearing long pants and a hoodie all day really makes him stinky. He also doesn't shower because he "doesn't like water". I fear all day he will just play video games. He has shut himself off so much from life that he will find himself 50 one day and wonder where the time went to.

July 4, 2013
A MyAutismTeam Member

i feel your pain to my son likes to go outside all the time but its so hot and i have little funds myself so idont know what else to do for him my hands are tied

July 4, 2013

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Arlington, NJ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In