My 12 year old ASD son refuses to go to school. Last year before his diagnosis the school got involved and he had to sign an attendance contract. This year it seems they don't care and won't try to help me to coax him to go. I am frustrated and thinking about putting him in homeschool. I really don't want to as he has an IEP in place and they are working on his social skills which he needs desperately but I am running out of time and options..
Answer Summary
Members rallied around a parent whose 12-year-old son with ASD refuses to attend school, with many sharing similar struggles involving... Read more
My son is going through the same, many measures are in place for him but he still finds it hard to cope. Anxiety is the main issue followed by the fact that he can't interpret others feelings/gestures too well and he gets confused. Going through the ASD assessment but really he needs to be at a school more tailored to his need, to enable that we need a statement for him which are virtually impossible to get nowadays, and so it goes on.
Everything takes so long and for a child who finds each day a struggle its horrible sending your son into school when they don't want to go due to anxiety and confusion😢
Yes, we go through that very often! I think the school environment/staff play a big role. I hate it that they focus so much on attendance. I know it's important, Therefore, it maybe helpful for school to focus on trying to figure out what is going on, and make accommodations to help him feel comfortable. I know it's hard to have to force our children, which is also traumatic for them. Non- public schools are more understanding. You are doing the best you can :-)
I went through this with my son I tried to see what was bothering him.and some of the changes this year were kind of difficult. Yes I had to sign a contract saying he would be there but I also to into consideration as to what was bothering him. So I did my own thing and only made him go so many days a week until He adjusted. He now feels ok with going to school most days there still are times he doesn't want to but we work at that. Sometimes I take him to his class and tell him after we get there if he doesn't want to stay mommy will bring him back home. But most of the time after he gets there and the others kids are playing he feels ok to stay. I can't say if I'm doing right or wrong but I want my son to know that yes there are things he needs to do but it makes him feel he has some say in his five year old life. I hope this helps. But my son went from half days to a full day this year and that plus he had been in one class for two years with the same teacher and this year it was a new teacher different routine so yes it was very overwhelming for him at first. It took us the whole first semester to get adjusted. I hope this helps and I know the schools have a hard time understanding sometimes. But I stood my ground and now some of it is getting better. The school was not happy that he wasn't there every day but it was easier on me and my son to do it my way I know others frowned on they way i did things but I wanted my son to get the help he needed with his IEP and to learn and if the child is scared or something is just not right they won't learn. May be they can put him in another class room that he feels more comfortable.
Perhaps your son is being bullied. Boy's are less likely to be open in regards to peer pressure treatment. Thankful that the Guidance Counselor contacted you. However he may need a smaller classroom setting. The weather too is a factor to consider.
Are you able to speak with his teachers or the principal to try to investigate why your son refuses to leave the house and not want to go to school?
Here are some questions you may ask yourself or the school?
Any new changes in your son's routine (in school, home, etc) that may have caused these behavior changes (refusal to go to school)? New teacher? any new students?
Investigate how your son is being treated in school by the teachers, and his peers? Ask your son questions on each of the teachers, or aides.
Is the school environment (noise, too much stimuli) affecting his learning, etc?