Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Shreveport, LA

If you're the custodial parent and you have a child between the age of 3 through 10 and you need to fuel your vehicle but you have to go inside to pay, is it considered abandonment to leave your child for those few seconds and return to your gas pump or do you take your child in each time you have to go inside to pay, just curious of everyone's opinion because I have a 5 year old that I do leave inside my truck to pay for gas if I can't pay @ the pump and I am the custodial parent and my child's… read more

February 20, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members discussed the question of whether it's safe to leave a young child in a locked car for a few minutes while paying for gas inside, with... Read more

Members discussed the question of whether it's safe to leave a young child in a locked car for a few minutes while paying for gas inside, with the overwhelming consensus being that it's better to always bring the child along due to safety concerns. Several members shared practical strategies to make the process easier, including using pay-at-the-pump options, Walmart gas cards, planning fill-ups when kids aren't present, or turning trips inside into quick games to keep children engaged and cooperative. A recurring theme was that while the risk may feel small, the potential consequences of car theft, abduction, heat exposure, or accidents are too serious to justify the convenience, especially in today's world where bystanders may also call Child Protective Services.

A MyAutismTeam Member

I want to Thank everyone's opinion and input it's very helpful and useful, I have my son 95% of the time and always try to do the correct thing and I don't turn away constructive criticism if it's helpful for me and Jr, just trying to do what is right.

February 20, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

I can't take the triplets in with me so I get a Walmart card I can use at the pump- save a few cents a gallon that way, too.

February 20, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member I am a social worker for the county I reside in and we receive many calls through our hotline about people leaving their children in the car. Alot of times it is parents that are providing for their children and making sure all their needs are met. You just have to be very careful because we live in a society where people are heartlesd and don't care.

February 21, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

There has been a time that I have left my son in the car but with windows down and the car off and the doors locked, and I take the keys with me. When he refuses to get out of the car and starts to have a meltdown, I am not going to force him out, but I also make sure that I can see him and that the line is not long inside. I have only done it in my hometown, not out of town. There are times that I can do it another time and times that I can't!

March 17, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

Better safe then sorry take your son with you, make it a game (I would always tell my kids lets see how long it takes us to go inside and pay for gas and back to car, this way they focus on the counting and it seems like a game.. Or sometimes I would say lets see who finds more red colored items etc.. I would always let my son win this way he had fun and felt good about wining ... His 19 and sometimes he remembers our games when I ask him to go inside and pay for gas, he would say remember mom when we counted red items and I always won.. I would just respond (yeah you always won) life is truly an adventure enjoy your little one, keep him save

February 25, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Phoenix, AZ

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Belle Fourche, SD