Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dalton, GA

I tried to Google this and I am not really sure how to word it to get what I'm looking for. My 5 year olds have a very difficult time using female words like she and her and also male words like he and him when distinguishing between genders. They also call some women "Mr" and some men "Miss". Also, they call some older men Grandma, even if we aren't related. I plan on discussing this with their Speech therapist but I also don't don't if it related to ASD as well. Any advice or comments are… read more

July 30, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

I forgot to mention that as African-American people, my son would go up to an elderly caucasian person and call them grandma and grandpa. Can you imagine the looks of shock and dismay? Even an explanation of autism didn't alleviate the negative responses he received.

August 4, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

My son thought my name was "Whatcha doin?" because I would always ask him this. He went between that and "Suppie", the "twinspeak" name he and his sister called me.

August 3, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

For my kids, yes. Pronouns have always been confusing

July 31, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

My son mixes up pronouns but not in the way you are asking. If he doesn't want to be bothered with me and I am asking him a question, he will say, "Leave HIM alone!" instead of "Leave ME alone!"

July 31, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

It is very common for children with ASD to miss label the gender of another child or adult. I read somewhere that they commonly say yes when they me no and vice versa also. My son does this sometimes

July 31, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
fairfax va, VA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In