Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

For a month, everytime I ask my son to do something, or to go somewhere, or to watch any tv show, he starts to cry saying "I don't want to". He even makes guttural voices saying the same. I know that if I do what he wants, then he will learn that this is the way to get things his way. For instance, everytime we go to bed, I put something boring on tv to help him falling asleep and he can cry for more than an hour wanting me to change the channel. I even use visuals but he keeps demanding me the… read more

August 10, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyAutismTeam Member

Mine does not understand reasons, he is 7. He just cries for his cartoons for more than an hout until falling asleep. Visuals just don't work, I just want to go to bed so badly after a long day and I can't.

August 11, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

With my twins Russ I can talk and love on him or redirect it helps with his calming down on occasion ignoring works with Alley there is no ignoring it she will get upset it turns into a full blown meltdown I have to find something to sooth her they are not anywhere near the reasoning stage almost 5

August 11, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

For my son, timers are the LAW. If he is watching TV or playing and won't get ready to leave or to go to bed, we set the Almighty Timer. We show it to him and tell him "In 10 minutes, the timer will go off and you have to go to bed." Then if the timer goes off and he resists, I say "sorry, the timer went off. You have to go to bed." (Kind of put the blame on the timer). A visual schedule that shows planned transitions, like bathing, going to bed, etc. may help. But for events not on a regular schedule, use a timer. It may help him mentally prepare for what is coming next. But whatever you use, do it consistently and do not give in once the timer goes off or you've lost the battle and the war. If your son needs more transition time, you can give him 30 minute, 15 minute, 10 minute, and 5 minute timers to help him step down. It may take several days of this for it to stick. Hope this helps.

August 15, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ann Arbor, MI

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Tigard, OR