"My son was over in the aisle behind us, there was a big wire cage full of beach balls in there. He got all the balls out and was playing with them. Someone came and told me "your son is making a mess". I figured it's the store's fault. They built a help-yourself display and that's what he's doing. I completely ignored the doofus and we went about our business." -A member on MyAutismTeam
On MyAutismTeam, the social network and online support group for parents of kids with autism, members talk about a range of personal experiences and struggles. Dealing with rude comments is one of the most discussed subjects.
Here are a few question-and-answer threads about dealing with rude comments:
• What would you like people to know about ASD?
• Should you confront someone who says something hurtful, regarding ASD? Any advice?
• How do you deal with family members who treat your child terribly?
• How do you know/ deal with your child being mistreated?
Here are some conversations about dealing with rude comments:
• Tonight I had an emotional break down! My son refuses to clean his room & he will make his 5 year old sister do it and she will because she has a kind heart.
• My daughter (18) is always rude to her sister (15) and brother (9).
• I took this picture today to use when I update my family and friends on her diagnosis. I’ve already had some annoying comments from the few I have told, so I hope it goes well.
Can you relate?
Have another topic you'd like to discuss or explore? Go to MyAutismTeam today and start the conversation. You'll be surprised just how many others may share similar stories.
Feel free to ask a question here.