Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Champlin, MN

Wondering if my son is too young to discuss with pics of course the unintended consequences of a car crash. Cartoons worked well for us (not too graphic) when we were working on street safety and walking or biking. Has anyone used language or pictures to talk about the consequences of a car crash. Would it even work? I'm wondering because he would need to understand the driver may get distracted. I don't want to create a fear, just change the escape behavior. Any ideas or experiences?

June 18, 2012
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyAutismTeam Member

I don't think a 4 year old especially an Autistic one is going to be able to process the consequences of not wearing a seatbelt in a car crash. I don't think most nuerotypical kids will get that either. Many nuerotypical kids just obey and follow instructions. For a time we used a seatbelt lock that we found on Amazon.com. It slips over the seatbelt buckle and they simply can't get out. So while I think it's good to attempt to train them about the consequences of not wearing a seatbelt in a car crash, it's also important to protect the child from himself right now! :)

June 18, 2012
A MyAutismTeam Member

I agree with @A MyAutismTeam Member that he won't be able to understand the consequences. But I think he can understand the rules. There's two parts to teaching rules and getting kids to comply.
1. Reinforce them when you see them following the rules with something they like and use words that specifically tell them what they are doing right.
2. Have consequences when they break the rules. Try to have the consequences tie closely to what you are teaching. And again "briefly" tell them why. I always have a harder time with this.

You can also practice outside of the situation. So if the problem is getting out of his car seat. Go practice sitting nicely in his carseat when the car is just sitting in the driveway. Don't forget to reinforce the good behavior.

August 30, 2012 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA, CA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Carson, CA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In