Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA, CA

My son has recently figured out how to undo the straps to his car seat and is quickly learning how to shimmy out of the bottom leg straps..I have looked online for something to help but I only found a special needs car seat for almost $1000.00! Since that is out of the question I would like to know if anyone else has an escape artist on their hands and what you do about it?

January 9, 2012
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

Much as I hate to admit this, I used a walking harness that fastened in the back, and tethered that to the back of the car seat. Even when mine would get the shoulder straps off, she didn't have enough mobility to wiggle out of the leg straps before I could pull over and stop her. Of course, I only had to do that until my daughter was three or four, at which point, I discovered the lifesaver of a second-hand car seat strapped in next to her with one of her favorite dolls or stuffed animals in it. For some reason, that worked well for us.

January 10, 2012
A MyAutismTeam Member

We used to Jacob Houdini b/c he could slip out of the 5 point harness! But the up-side" to Asperger's was that we could hook him in, put a velcro strap across the harness and told him it was his "super-hero" lock. He never tried to undo it. It had no function for safety, but he believed that it did. That was all it took!

January 9, 2012
A MyAutismTeam Member

I saw a guard of some type on line somewhere while doing research for the same problem, but it depends on what kind of car seat it is. At the time my son was already in a booster with a back and the guard was for where the seatbelt snapped closed. I wound up cutting up the top of a milk jug and hooking it with a rubber band to the clip part of the seatbeat...the bottom part that sticks out of the seats.

January 11, 2012
A MyAutismTeam Member

i have the same problem i notice if u Cris-cross the straps it makes it harder for them to pull their arms out. that is what has been working for us... also, the car seat we have, we are able to tighten it with a knob on the side of the seat so we can make it tighter every day to assure his safety! Good luck!!

July 20, 2012
A MyAutismTeam Member

You could also try applying for grants to help pay for equipment. Don't know if it would qualify but it would be worth the try.

January 10, 2012

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hillsboro, OR