Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY

Does anyone currently have a home health aide my sons pediatrician suggest Liam should get one to help me out at home with my boys I feel like Im running a pretty smooth ship but I would like to hear anyones experience.

November 16, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with home health aides, with many recounting challenges such as unengaged workers, poor work quality, and the... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with home health aides, with many recounting challenges such as unengaged workers, poor work quality, and the difficulty of finding reliable help, though some noted that dedicated aides do exist and can be valuable team members once found. Several members offered practical advice, including starting with short visits to allow the child time to adjust, creating clear written instructions and expectations from day one, and not hesitating to request a replacement if the fit isn't right. A recurring theme was the emotional tension between needing support and the vulnerability of allowing strangers into one's home to care for a loved one, with many urging patience and careful vetting before committing fully.

A MyAutismTeam Member

Just take your time with it. I'm not leaving my son alone with the aide no time soon. I need time for him to adjust to her. Just let someone come in for a few hours to start and let your child get accustomed to them. Good luck!!!!!!

November 22, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

I'm also considering it, but not sure how I feel about it and if it will benefit him.

November 21, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

We take care of my husband's grandmother that is bed-ridden and has Alzhiemers ,she has an aide. In the six years years she has had one, we have had 2 outstanding aides, 1 or 2 decent ones, and the rest have been a mess. My point being, there are good aides out there it just may take a whIle to find one. If I could redo anything in my experience, I would not hesitate to request another one if the one that you get isn't a good fit. When one is not working out in the begining, it never gets better with time in my experience, it always esculates to more and more things going wrong or not being taken care of. I have had ones that would leave bigger messes for me to clean up that would cause me more work than taking care of her myself which really defeats the purpose of them being here. I have a list posted by grandma's bed of clear instructions about her medical diagnosises and special care and how often certain things like bed baths should be done, for example. This has helped a lot because then they know what we do to keep her healthy as possible. I think, if it is posted, it provides them a guide of our expectations and keeps her safer. I outlined that I am in charge off all housework and dishes and that they are in charge of keeping her changed and clean and typical laundry while on their shift. If her laundry is messed up on our schedule, I wash it. It's good to be clear as you can about things from the start, I train people how we roll her to change her so that it doesn't tear her skin...I lead by example a lot at first until they see how we go about things that pop up and they can gauge if they think they'll be able to handle it. We make sure she is clean and fed before they get here to show we are a team in this and with the right aide, it will feel very much like you are a team together. I hope this helps.

November 19, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

My daughter is 26, she has never had a aide. I have heard of people getting aides to help their children. Plus makes sure the aide is knowledgeable about autism.

November 16, 2016
A MyAutismTeam Member

Yes by all means get it. My aide starts this Friday i can;t wait !!!!

November 16, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Seymour, CT

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cleveland, OH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In