Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭

I'm very nervous about my child starting the pre-k program. As he was just diagnosed and has limited speech, and doesn't do well with change or transitions fast. I'm worried how he'll do with a teacher focusing on more than just him because he's not use to that. I'm super nervous. I'm worried about other kids being mean to him. I have a ton of anxiety about it. He's 3 so he doesn't understand the concept of school just yet. Never went to daycare just therapies. I don't know how he'll do taking… read more

August 2, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyAutismTeam Member

Agree with @A MyAutismTeam Member wait till you think he is ready. If it’s a sink or swim situation, is it worth the risk?

August 2, 2018
A MyAutismTeam Member

I'm sorry. We had a seperate PreK for children with special needs who weren't ready for inclusion. I was anxious enough about that, and can't imagine the sink-or-swim approach to be very reassuring for you. Hugs from Texas.

August 5, 2018
A MyAutismTeam Member

just jump in, do not worry so much. He needs the the school environment. good luck

August 3, 2018
A MyAutismTeam Member

At 3 and 4 years of age most kids are generally not mean. I maybe wrong but my assumption is that there will likely not be bullying. At least that’s what I’ve noticed with my daughter’s class. If the student: teacher/aides ratio is not bad, I think he’ll be fine. I too was a nervous wreck when my daughter started school at 3. She had never been in daycare either. The first few days were tough for the both of us, but in a week she was looking forward to going to school. Also, I let her ride the school bus home which was always the highlight of the day for her. If you feel it’s not working you could always pull him out of school, he’s only 3. If I’d known all that I know now and had our ASD diagnosis then, I probably would’ve had her start at 4.

August 2, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Matthews, NC

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lynwood, IL