Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Tucson, AZ

Just curious if any other parents have experienced their kiddo telling them where to drive in the car? My son is a back seat driver at age 6 telling me where to turn and to go. He has even started telling the trainer during his horse back riding lessons.

November 22, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyAutismTeam Member

Yes but usually it's because he doesn't want to go home. He will tell me how to go to the park or the store.

November 29, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

My youngest daughter does this and at times knows how to get grandmas house this way

November 29, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

Someone suggested taking pictures of changes ahead of time and avoid getting into routines. We can also avoid things for a couple of weeks if possible, once routines are set. these things are not always possible.

November 24, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

My 4 year old granddaughter tells me "that way, that way MeMe;" she knows the way home from school & to my sisters house. If I have to stop at the store she screams when I pull into the parking lot. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, I just wanted you to know you are not alone,

November 23, 2015
A MyAutismTeam Member

Thank you all. Sometimes I just wonder what similarities our children have. I know they are all unique and their own person. Yes. He is communicating well and although this drives me bonkers I am so proud and thankful he is talking as I remember when I was so worried about that. Sometimes he recites more lines from movies or shows or things I have said but more and more I am seeing some unprompted communication. I have to keep reminding myself not to equate everything to his diagnosis but that some of it is typical 6 year old behavior but he gets very upset if we don't go or turn where he wants me to go when I am just trying to get us where we need to go! I tell him when u are 16 and get a drivers permit(God willing) he can go where he wants to go but for now mommy is the driver😜

November 23, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Holiday, FL

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Maryland, MD