Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyAutismTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON

My almost 5yr old who weighs about 75 lbs and likes to get out of her car seat belt, even while its buckled!! She's so flexible, she can wiggle and pull her one leg out and gets out, plus she can push the button and get out, so I need something that will keep her in her car seat. Any one have any suggestions? I've seen some vests, but they have push buttons in the front that she can push to open and I've seen belt blocks, but if she can wiggle out of the seat belt while its buckled so those… read more

January 17, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member ^

January 20, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

I am having the same problem with my son so far the only thing I have found is a cover for the buckle that is child proof that i am ordering. I will keep you posted if it works.

May 16, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

I couldn't think what it was last night lol
Safety 1st Complete Air 65 convertible car seat

January 20, 2017
A MyAutismTeam Member

@A MyAutismTeam Member...I hear you about the zip ties and bolt cutters..desperate times call for desperate measures. what car seat did you find that worked for you eventually? I have a pretty big problem with this issue myself to say the least..my son is 44 pounds and 4 but strong as an ox and refuses to stay in his car seat at all..

January 20, 2017 (edited)
A MyAutismTeam Member

My son learned to unbuckle his five point harness. Terrifying! I did the only thing I could come up with to get him out of immediate danger.. yes it poses potential risk if we would ever need to exit quickly, but to keep finding him surfing in the car on the freeway was NOT an option. As a temporary solution I used zip ties and kept bolt cutters in the glove compartment. I'm a little embarrassed but I was desperate to keep him safe. (I received a lot of negative feedback, hope I don't here).
Then we basically switched car seats until we found one he couldn't undo. Thankfully my daughter's worked. Maybe there's a way to secure the belt so she can't wriggle out? I hope you find something!

January 19, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA, CA

A MyAutismTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hillsboro, OR

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In